IDE <-> MFM, was > Re: AT&T 7300/3B1's

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Thu Nov 27 07:56:19 CST 2008

Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Jules Richardson wrote:
>

>> I believe there are only a
>> couple of commercial solutions out there (serious $$$), and it's a problem
>> that the hobbyist movement hasn't cracked (except on paper) yet.
>>

> The problem is, that you need serious computing power to do it the other
> way round (And I'm looking for an "attaching IDE or SCSI disks to a ST506
> controller" solution as well)

While it wouldn't be universal... at least for certain platforms,
wouldn't it be simpler to replace the MFM controller chip(s)
with a circuit that simply accessed an IDE or SCSI disk instead ?

i.e. replacing the MFM chip in an AT&T 3B1 with a daughter
board that then had a 50 pin IDC header on it for connecting to
a SCSI disk (or disks) ?

How hard would that problem be ?

It wouldn't be a universal application... would only work effectively
with systems with socketed (or at least through hole) chips... but
I'd think it would be much simpler, no ?

Anyone ever attempt something like that ?

-- Curt