Help with Shugart SA801 8" floppy with 230v 50 cycle

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Nov 27 17:19:47 CST 2008

On 27 Nov 2008 at 22:20, Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ wrote:

> Only one of the pulleys should be crowned.  If they're both flat, or
> both crowned, it will throw the belt.  No, I don't know why.

Just checked a Siemens FDD-200 here--only the motor pulley is
crowned.  I maintain that the speed is determined by the maximum
diameter.  The purpose of crowning a drive pulley is to keep the belt
from wandering off the pulley; the lower parts of the crown actually
play little part in furnishing drive.

See, for example:

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/scenario/crowning.htm

Cheers,