Unusual software carriers. (Was :Vinyl Data- Classic Computers )

Keith Monahan keithvz at verizon.net
Thu Oct 2 09:00:23 CDT 2008

Jos Dreesen / Marian Capel wrote:
> In addition to radio and teletext, there was also a TV program in
> Germany that transmitted software by burying the data in the first few
> scanlines of the videosignal.

I think there was some TV program here in the US that did something
similar.  They sold relatively inexpensive decoders, that I think
attached via rs-232, which allowed you to receive the data.  I believe,
however, that they used the entire screen, or a box in the center of the
screen, and everything was visible.

I think this was during the 80's.  I just stumbled on youtube-ish videos
a couple years ago, and was impressed that they were doing such, ummm,
high-tech stuff back then.(or seemingly high-tech, right? Distributing
software/programs via TV sounds more current-generation comcast cable
capabilities than 80's-tech)  I think that was a great idea for wide
distribution of things.  Like multicast traffic today.

Anyone know what the name of the programs, or the name of the decoder
boxes/technology?

Keith