Looking for AT&T 3B1/UNIXPC/PC7300 software

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sat Oct 11 00:42:28 CDT 2008

On Friday 10 October 2008 09:50, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > On Friday 10 October 2008 00:24, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> >> Looking for diskette images of the OS, development,
> >> tcp/ip/ethernet, diagnostic diskette, etc....
> >>
> >> -- Curt
> >>
> > :-)
> >
> > Having fun with the new toy?
>
> yes.  It is an interesting box.  Not quite what I expected....

I wasn't sure what to expect with it.

> looking for software for it...  and a WD2010 chip (which would
> allow me to exceed 1024 cylinders on the hard drive).  If I can
> find someone to burn a PAL for me... I can also add support for
> the 4th head select line... upping the max heads from 8 to 16.
>
> I may not change these things... but if I can easily enough I
> will to give greatest drive flexibility.
>
> I had it all apart (it is difficult to take this thing apart !)

I started in that direction with the thought of disconnecting the monitor
portion of it from the rest,  and gave up on the idea after a bit.

> There was a small 'sliver' of plastic cracked away at the front in front
> of the keyboard... I glued that.  The larger crack in the back doesn't
> want to close well (even with a clamp), so I doubt superglue would
> work very well... so since it is not very apparant, I'll probably fill the
> crack with epoxy to strengthen it and that should do.  The metal
> that was bent was straightened... but a metal tab where the back
> metal screws onto the side metal was a casualty... it broke off while
> trying to straighten it.... but not a big deal, as it is held on by 3
> other screws....  assembled you'd never even know.
>
> I must say this thing is really difficult to take apart and put
> together.... it has pretty good build quality though.  The toughest
> part is that the rear case binds on the floppy drive power
> connector....  if I had followed the 3B1 FAQ recommended
> disassembly procedure I probably would have broken the floppy
> drive PCB.  I took the monitor off the top, that allowed me to
> see what I was doing... there was just enough room to use long
> needle nose pliers to disconnect the floppy drive power connector.
> reassembly will be fun....

Ah.

> Let me know when the laptop arrives.

It arrived today,  and research and preparations will commence shortly.

All was as expected,  at the very least.  :-)

-
M Dakin