Looking for AT&T 3B1/UNIXPC/PC7300 software

Brian L. Stuart blstuart at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 13 13:15:05 CDT 2008

> When I image disked my set, it found both 8 and 10 sector disks. The 3B1 can
format in either 8 or 10 sectors.  It looks like the main software is all in 10
> sector
disks and  the other add on software is in 8 sectors. The 2 disks that failed to
> image
> where from the same add on package, don't remember which and they showed
> up as 9 sectors ???  Anadisk finds the same and can read the first 8 sectors and
> errors on the 9th.

As I recall, earlier distributions of the system were all
on 8 sectored disks.  But as the distributions grew, they
started using 10 sectors to fit more on the disk.  But I
do remember that at least one of the disks was always 8
sectors.  I'm inclined to say that might have had to do
with the on-board boot code.  The PROM code may not have
been able to boot from a 10 sectored disk, but that's as
much or more speculation as it is memory.

BLS