NEC SX-4B on Ebay

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 08:03:57 CDT 2008

Alexandre Souza wrote:
>> If I had a Cray at my disposal, I'd probably give LCDproc
>> <http://www.lcdproc.org/> a try, but that's strictly out of
>> of the same perverse sense that makes someone want to run
>> a webserver on a platform that isn't exactly built for "mudane"
>> sorts of apps.  I really don't know what I'd do to "open up the
>> throttle" on a Cray.
>
>    This is something that got me wondering: How much processing power a
> cray (any model/age, just for comparison) has against a current Pentium
> quad or Turion or whatever?

It'll depend entirely on what you're trying to use it for, will it not?

One of the things the museum wanted to do was some form of performance index
to convey how fast various machines were - an idea that I think is flawed as
it can't take into account *how* the various machines were used, and so gives
a false impression.

The only way to compare is to ask "how productive does this machine make me
when doing the tasks I expect of it" - and in those terms, old Crays likely
still stand up pretty well (which in a corporate world leaves you moving on to
questions about reliability, concurrency, failsafe ability, longevity etc.)

>    I got a quad core but I'm still unninpressed by it :oP

I suspect PCs still are, and always will be, totally hampered by all the cruft
that has to exist around the CPU.

cheers

Jules