old 386 pc, vga port - but one pin is blocked?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 12:45:07 CDT 2008

> > Well a 386 may not count as vintage yet (or ever ...) but isn't it more
> > in keeping with the spirit of what we do here to hack, twist and bend
> > the modern to fit in with the old, where possible? Shouldn't the OP pull
> > a pin on a common or garden cable rather than drill a mobo connector?
>
> I don't think it's a bad idea.  Drilling the pin means modern cables (for
> the forseeable future at least) will fit the machine.  If the machine is in
> pristine collectible condition, then I might be more prone to modifying a
> cable instead, but modifying the plug on the machine will be far more
> convenient.
>
> Is the goal to keep the machine original and collectible, or to make it
> usable?  The goals are somewhat at odds.

How about making up a short adapter cable with DE15 connectors at each
end. On the computer end, have only 14 pins fitted (so it'll plug into
the unmodified socket on the motherboard), on the monitor end have a
socket with all 15 holes (so any monitor will plug in). That keeps the
machine origianl and allows the use of any VGA  monitor or cable

Personally, though, for something like a PC, I'd just drill the hole
in the socket. I don't mind making small modifications to my classic
computers to improve useability.