Sparc desktop vs x86 desktop

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Oct 19 22:20:19 CDT 2008

On Oct 19, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
>>    Eh, life's too short to use crappy computers.
> Well,   yeah,  but being able to afford better is another matter
> entirely.
> I'm working on it...

   Well, lower-end or older systems are easily obtained at prices
comparable to that of PeeCee hardware.  The only big difference is
that you can't find a decent Sun on the side of the road on trash
day...PC hardware shows up that way all the time, as long as it's
more than about six months old.  But if you're patient, or if you
have a friend who has a very large quantity of Sun gear (AHEM), you
can get good stuff.

>>> What'd you do with the old machine?  :-)
>>
>>    It's sitting here.  I suppose it's waiting for you to make me a
>> decent swap offer. ;)
>
> Hm.  I don't know what I might have offhand that you'd consider.
> But we could
> kick that around offlist...

   Yep, ping me off-list.  There isn't much stuff I really "need"
right now, aside from cash and perhaps some antidepressants, so I'd
mainly be interested in stuff that...well, catches my interest.

   Aside from that, though, I'd like to find some RK05 rack slides
and a DEC 3U dark-style blank rack panel, but those are already
covered, I think, by people here with whom I need to get back into
touch.  I'd really like to find an RK11-D, and a VT11 board set (have
the VT11 backplane already).  And a PDP-8/a.  Oh, and a core
subsystem for a PDP-11/05, but I don't know which version of the
backplane I have.

   Even lacking that stuff, though, I'm sure we won't have any
trouble coming up with a swap deal.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire