PDP-1 Spacewar! program internals

Megan Gentry mbg at world.std.com
Tue Oct 21 21:37:00 CDT 2008

There was also a pdp-11 version of spacewar written by a college friend
of mine.  It was written to run on the 11/40 at WPI (which also had a
VT11 and VR17 display).  Originally it was written to use the switches
for thrust, rotate and fire.  Later, we built some boxes with two
three-position toggle switches and a mometary pushbutton, and they used
batteries and a resistor network to provide power to a set of ADCs on a
Lab Peripheral System (LPS) which was also on the machine.

Later, when both Frank and I were working at DEC, we got ahold of a few
DR11-C parallel I/O boards and built some new boxes which were
hard-wired to the boards and which simply turned on bits of the input
side, which the program was modified to read from.

A lot of hours were spent playing that game at WPI in the wee hours of
the night...