Semi-OT - Sources of magneto-optical disks?

Teo Zenios teoz at neo.rr.com
Thu Oct 30 11:37:21 CDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Guzis" <cclist at sydex.com>
To: "General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts"
<cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: Semi-OT - Sources of magneto-optical disks?

> On 30 Oct 2008 at 9:51, William Donzelli wrote:
>
>> Be careful when buying MO disks. They tend to be *really* picky about
>> what drives they want to work with. Most brands do not work reliably
>> in other brands' drives, even if all the specs and formats say they
>> should.
>
> The same goes for drives, particularly in the gigabyte capacities.
> They tend to be fairly fragile (the large Pinnacle drives had a
> tendency to fail after a few months in use).  All in all, that was
> one technology that I was glad to see die.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck

It is hard to find cheap drives these days. I have a 1.3GB (650MB per side)
5.25" drive with a large amount of media but could use another drive (incase
my current drive bites the dust). Ebay tends to have the drives but the
prices are insane.

I like storing old Mac programs on the MO disks because of the solid case
that keeps them for getting scratched like a cdr or dvdr would. And they are
supposed to last a long time.

TZ