Looking for a ST419

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 17:44:36 CDT 2008

Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Oct 30, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Chris Elmquist wrote:
>> I'm still dreaming about a way to emulate these drives with modern
>> hardware and I know that has been hashed over a lot over the years...
>> but I have no interest directly mapping an old drive to a new one.
>> I'd be happy with emulating the old drive in a file (image) on a new
>> drive or say, compact flash or other non-rotating media.
>
>   I sure would love that as well.  Not easy to do, though.

I think the end of the last discussion on this resulted in the conclusion that
it could be done, but required frequencies high enough to rule out just
slapping some TTL together on a bit of prototype board...

To be honest I'd just be happy with something that could snapshot a drive for
now, without necessarily having to understand the contents or give write
access - far as I'm concerned, the priority is to get the data off* the ageing
media; a drop-in replacement for the physical hardware is a secondary
consideration (I do like to keep my systems running, but it's no good if a
bells-and-whistles system comes along ten years too late)

* I'd even sell my soul and consider a USB solution for that ;)

cheers

Jules