anyone utilizing early Macs to access the internet?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Oct 31 14:24:55 CDT 2008

At 12:25 PM -0500 10/31/08, Doc Shipley wrote:
>Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>Can any pre-Mac OS X system run a browser that supports modern
>>websites?  This was the problem that caused my Mom to upgrade a
>>couple years ago.  Besides now that they've been selling
>>Intel-based Mac's for a few years, doesn't the G5 2x2 I'm using
>>count as an "early" Mac? :-)
>
>   Any system that supports 8GB of RAM and 2TB of internal storage
>counts as "current enough" in my book.  :)

Fair enough since most of the current Mac's only support 4GB RAM, and
that isn't enough for me.  I'm trying to decide if I should rip out
1GB RAM to take mine up to the full 8GB.  Moving from 5.5GB to 7GB a
couple weeks ago really helped performance wise.  I've not maxed out
the disk space, I have a 750GB and a 1TB drive, not two 1TB drives
(will the G5 take 1.5TB drives?).

I really want an 8-core Mac Pro with 16GB RAM, and to start adding
1.5TB drives to it! :-)  Though if it wasn't for my digital
photography, I wouldn't even feel a need to upgrade my G5!  To me
that speaks well of a 5 year old computer.

Realistically I think this says more about how the top of the line
Mac's are so far ahead of the curve, than anything.  The sad thing is
system won't even be supported in 10.6 from what everyone is hearing
(I'm still at 10.4.11).

Zane