infocom on other systems

Rick Murphy rick at rickmurphy.net
Mon Sep 1 21:34:58 CDT 2008

At 10:20 PM 9/1/2008, David Griffith wrote:
>On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Roger Ivie wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, David Griffith wrote:
> > >
> > > Yesterday I unearthed some unopened Infocom games which will go
> on Ebay
> > > tomorrow afternoon.  What caught my eye was a blurb indicating
> that games
> > > were available for the DECmate, DEC Rainbow, HP 150 and 110, and TI
> > > Professional.  I'm especially interested in the DECmate
> version.  Does
> > > anyone know anything more about these obscure ports of Infocom games?
> >
> > Not specifically, but bear in mind that the DECmate II with the APU
> > was a fine CP/M machine. Since there was a CP/M version of many of the
> > Infocom games, it would just be a matter of slapping that onto an RX50.
>
>It's the pdp8-ness that made me take notice.

Those games were for the Decmate II *with the CP/M coprocessor*. Not
native PDP-8 code.

>I have a thing for getting
>z-machine interpreters running on weird platforms and right now the pdp8
>and pdp11 strike my fancy.  Recently someone ported my pet project, Frotz,
>to the iPhone.

Good luck with getting the interpreter running on the PDP-8. I'd say
that it's pretty much impossible.
Getting something as simple as Adventure fit onto the PDP-8 was a lot
more work than I'd like to admit. Anything more complex is out of the
question.
     -Rick