Paper tapes+rubber bands+30 yrs = mess

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Sep 3 11:59:37 CDT 2008

On 3 Sep 2008 at 13:09, Alexandre Souza wrote:

>     Chris, I'm pretty sure you can clean (very carefully with a picker and a
> swab) these tapes with "Benzina". I don't know how it is called in English.
> Maybe "white spirits" or something like that. It dissolves rubber (even very
> old rubber) and cleans the paper without attacking the paper fibers. But be
> VERY careful. It is toxic.

I think you're referring to benzine (*not* benzene) or petroleum
ether (which isn't an ether), sometimes also called naphtha or
mineral spirits (less exact names).  Yes, that should work.

If you can't obtain it easily, perhaps contact cement thinner might
do the job.  It appears to be a mixture of MEK, toluol and petroleum
ether.

Cheers,
Chuck