vac tubes / was Re: Schematics of Atanasoff-Berry

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 15:11:50 CDT 2008

> On Sep 4, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Tony Duell wrote:
> > Maybe not strictly an NE2, but there are green and blue neons
> > avaiable.
> > They have a phosphor coating on the inside of the glass, and I _think_
> > the gas inside is still neon (I see to remember seeing the classic
> > orange
> > glow trhough the glass around the leadout wires).
>
>    Oooh, I've never seen a blue one.  The green ones were even
> available from Radio Shack on this side of the pond, but never the
> blue ones, as far as I can recall.

I think the blue ones are relatively recent, probably to go alongside
blue LEDs (which seem to be used on everything thse days).

I don;t think I've seen loose blue neon bulbs for sale. I've certainly
seen blue neon mains indicator assemblies, though, and they don't appear
to be either a plain bulb or a green one filtererd.