OT - Simple Read / Write Detection on Individual SATA II Drives

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Sep 7 11:36:00 CDT 2008

On 7 Sep 2008 at 8:04, Jerome H. Fine wrote:

> I realize that they don't qualify for the 10 year rule, however, since I
> will be using them to run Ersatz-11 to run RT-11 software from
> 1985 which does qualify, I hope that this question is not too OT.

This is a question that comes up from time to time on the hardware
forums.

The short answer is that some manufacturers provide an OC activity
LED output on pin 11 of the power connector.  An LED with a current-
limiting resistor between this pin and +12 or +5 will get you that.
WD drives have this, as do some models of Seagate and Maxtor.

This is at least true for SATA; I don't know if SATA II has made this
a no-no or has fully supported this feature.

Cheers,
Chuck