Suggestions for cleaning hundreds of socketed chips?

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 07:49:33 CDT 2008

Josh Dersch wrote:
> I've started taking the chips out one by one and cleaning the legs by
> running them over a strip of scotch-brite.  This clears off the
> corrosion (and some of these are VERY corroded).

Ugh. I've seen early ICs where the legs essentially rot from the inside-out;
the pins become extremely fragile and prone to just falling off, and no amount
of cleaning makes a good connection. I've brought machines back to life where
it's just been easier to ditch any IC that looks suspect and replace it with a
good part - it's far less trouble than trying to judge how good every single
IC leg is.

I know what a headache densely-packed boards can be. Sometimes I've found that
bending sewing pins right at the tips, hooking them under the ends of the IC
and then using a pair of pliers to pull on them is the best way of getting ICs
out.

cheers

Jules