Suggestions for cleaning hundreds of socketed chips?

Josh Dersch derschjo at msu.edu
Fri Sep 12 02:16:37 CDT 2008

Patrick Finnegan wrote:

>> You mustn't have read the thread.
>>
>> This machine is wire wrapped.  Replacing the sockets would be
>> tantamount to building the boards from scratch.
>>

> You're right that I haven't been following this thread... Still, my
> comment stands.  I don't think I'd consider it any more work to replace
> WW ones and re-wrap them than if they were soldered onto a PCB
> (especially if it has multiple layers), as long as you have some sort
> of schematice/wire list.  If you wanted to be creative, you could
> probably cut the pins off the old sockets (or disassemble the sockets
> to get the pins out), and figure out how to replace the sockets
> (soldering new ones onto the old pins) without having to re-wrap
> everything.
>
> Pat

Whew.  I dunno if I want to tackle that just yet.  I have a schematic
set but no wire-list... not sure it'd really be worth the effort to
completely rebuild the board... I don't even have any actual software to
run on this thing (except for what I feel like toggling into the front
panel) once I get it running :).

But I'll keep it in mind.  Thanks!
Josh