SCSI to IDE bridges...

Antonio Carlini arcarlini at iee.org
Tue Sep 23 13:05:14 CDT 2008

Zane H. Healy wrote:

>I need newer versions, but I'm still considering buying some.  This
could be
>a good way to get a cheap *BIG* disk on a VMS system for backing up the
SCSI
>disks to.  Anyone happen to know how large of disks these support?
Smaller
>EIDE drives are getting harder to find.  This might also be a good way
>add a CD or DVD burner to a system.

Doesn't say. 100GB IDE drives are basically free. I'd really like to get
something
of that size (or maybe a bit bigger) onto my VAXstation 4000-90.

>Here is a warning for anyone looking to use these under VMS though,
they do
>not support Volume Shadowing.  As such I'd really only recommend using
them
>for a disk to backup to.

This sounds like you've tried?

I recently had a go at putting a 140GB SCA-80 SCSI disk on my VAXstation
4000-90
and it didn't want to know. I've not investigated very far and it may be
something
very simple, but it just diudn't play ball. Similarly a 68-pin 36GB
device didn't
work. I do, however, have 3 18GB 68-pin SCSI disks working in there
quite
happily.

So a simple solution that works in my VS4k90 would be really nice. If
anyone
has one working in such an environment, I'd certainly be keen to know.

FWIW: I don't care about volume shadowing too much. I just want to image
all my ODS-2 CDs to a disk. Actually, having gone to all that trouble
I'd then
want to back that disk up to another one that would then just sit on the
shelf,
but otherwise I'm not too concerned about backup!

Antonio