HP9836C colour alignment (grey scale tracking)

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 15:36:02 CDT 2008

> >> I'm guessing that they mean "driving the tube so hard the people across
> >> the road complain" kind of damage.  Certainly I'd replace the two
> >
> > Yes, that was my thought. Excessive beam current could damage the CRT,
> > the flyback transformer or bits on the video board. But I wonder just
> > what 'excessive' is. I suspect I would notice it was far too bright long
> > before anything was damaged.
>
> I suspect that you'd see noticeable flyback lines well before you got it
> too "hot".

I would hope so. And this is an HP machine, from the 'good' days of HP,
so it's likely to use somewhat overrated components.

I acutally wonder if adjusting for a certain maximum intensity is the
best thing to do to safeguard the eleectronics. If the phosphors have
aged, it may bt that I have to turn up the gain so far to get that
intensity that the beam current is high enough to damage the flyback, or
the video output transistor, or....

I am wondering about measuring the average beam current when displaying
the level 15 raster of each primary colour and making sure it's
reasonable. Beam current is near enough the final anode current, so
measuring that would do. But that would mean having a microammeter
floating at 25kV wrt earth. What fun...

> > Equally, I don;t know if the CRT has lost emission over time, it may well
> > be that I could safely turn things up a bit.
>
> Fond though I am of spending my pocket money on expensive new toys, I'd
> trust the Mk. 1 Eyeball on this job.

Well, the thing is that no way could I afford a new photometer, or even a
'properly' recalibrated one. So even if I found one, I'd have the problem
of knowing if it was anywhere near calibration. For most measuring
instruiments I can think of 'sub^n standanrds' which would at least
verify the readings were sensible (e.g. checking a voltmeter agains one
of the voltage reference ICs -- it's not a traceable standard, but it'll
at least show if the meter is wildly out). But I can't think of such a
'standard' for luminous intensity.

Also, the 9836 has 4 bits/pixel in the the graphics memory, these are fed
to a 16*12 bit RAM (colour lookup table), and then to 3 4 bit DACs. So
there are a maximum of 16 colours o nthe screen at any time. OK, this is
better than most of my other machines, but I am hardly likely to use it
for displaying photographs or anything like that. No, the use of colour
is for things lijke 'The red grpah is the I-V characterising with a bias
of -2V, the blue graph is the same with a bias of -6V'. Which means the
exact colours are not that important. HP make some comment about setting
the grey scale carefully to avoid customer complaints that 2 9836Cs don't
show the same colours, but I don't have 2 of them :-).

So provided I am not going to damage anything, presumably by excessive
beam current, I don't think it's going to be that critcial _for me_

So yse, I guess I do it by eye, possibly also checking the beam current.