BASF (Was: SCSI to IDE bridges...

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 15:43:12 CDT 2008

> Now who was it that did those slimline 5.25" drives (slightly less than 1/2
> height) with the eject button (rather than handle) on the front? My brain's
> trying to tell me those are BASF too*, but I could be wrong. I know I have
> some in storage back in the UK, and they're not very reliable either.
>
> * Although maybe they're Epson; the system manufacturer that they came from
> were as fond of Epson as they were BASF...

These sound like Epson (all apart from the uneliability part, I've never
had problems with them). Epson made a 1/2 height drive with a
conventional stepper motor positioner (used in many Torch machines,
includinf the XXX) and also a 1/3 height drive used in the QX10 (and the
TF20 floppy unit for the Epson laptops) that had a voice coil positioner,
a bit like a miniature RK05 (!).

The only curious thing about the latter is that they have a belt driven
spindle (prsumably to get the height down, there wasn't space to fit the
motor in-line with the spindle. And that spidle motor has some curios
feature, I forget what, but I do rememebr having to dismantle the FG
(tacho) coil to extract the ends aftre they broke off when I was doing
somethign to the motor....