LED displays (TIL305, TIL308, etc.)

M H Stein dm561 at torfree.net
Tue Sep 30 15:24:10 CDT 2008

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 03:48:31 +0000
From: Ethan Dicks <ethan.dicks at usap.gov>
Subject: Re: LED displays (TIL305, TIL308, etc.)

<snip>
>I have one or two of a few different types, but no loose 9368s (only
>installed in boards already).

>One thought I had for trying to use a reduced-pin-count MCU-based numeric
>display was a 7447-type chip on 4-bits of an I/O port, and a 74145-type
>BSD decoder on the other half of the port - up to 10 digits easily, or 9
>with simple blanking (write 0 to the '145 and don't hang a digit off of it).
<snip>
>-ethan
That's the way it was usually done, although depending on display size (current)
a '145 might not have enough oomph to drive the digits directly without a buffer.

I have a few 9368s if you're desperate; it decodes to hexadecimal (for common
cathode displays), whereas the 7446/7/8 displayed those odd symbols (and
blank for F of course).