LED displays (TIL305, TIL308, etc.)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Sep 30 16:03:49 CDT 2008

On Sep 30, 2008, at 2:21 PM, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
>>    I do a lot of stuff with Nixie tubes.
>>
>>    7441s are pretty rare, but 74141s are around.  The Russian clone
>> of the 74141, the K155, is readily available on eBay at reasonable
>> prices.  I've used quite a few of them with good results.
>
> That numbering is completely new to me,  but then I haven't kept up
> with a
> fair amount of stuff anyhow.  Do you know of datasheets for those
> out there
> somewhere?

   I've put a copy of the K155 datasheet here:
   http://www.neurotica.com/misc/74141-russK155.gif

>>    Nixie tubes really aren't that difficult to drive.  If you decide
>> to give them a shot, drop me a note and I'll send you some info to
>> get you started.
>
> I wouldn't mind playing with some,  if I had the appropriate
> transformer and
> such to drive them with.  Used to be that you could get a
> transformer with a
> nominal 125VAC output fairly easily,  I haven't looked to see if
> they're out
> there these days.

   Ugh, line power.  Much safer to power stuff from low-voltage DC.
Try this step-up circuit; it is based on an MC34063 app note design
which I've tuned a bit and adapted for current component availability:

   http://www.neurotica.com/misc/step-up-regulator.png

   It's cheap, easy to build, and powers Nixies nicely.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL