The lost art (Was: The VAX is running

Chris Kennedy chris at mainecoon.com
Mon Apr 6 16:25:10 CDT 2009

Ian King wrote:

> I used to ask college grads to write a function in C to convert a
> null-terminated string representing an octal number into an int.

Mine has always been to postulate a singly-linked list with each node
containing a string value, then ask them to write something to print out
the list in reverse order.  There's a bunch of obvious ways to solve
that problem; the nice thing about it is that depending on the answer
that they give you can apply more constraints (copying isn't allowed,
memory is constrained, optimize for speed, whatever) in order to better
estimate their approach to solving problems.

--
Chris Kennedy
chris at mainecoon.com		AF6AP