Fiche scanning (was Re: [Simh] Listings of XXDP test and maindec's for 11/70)

Alexandre Souza alexandre-listas at e-secure.com.br
Tue Apr 14 10:26:44 CDT 2009

> I know the group has hashed and rehashed fiche scanning and I don't
> mean to re-open that debate.  Obviously fiche scanners exist,
> reinventing the wheel isn't cost effective, etc, etc.  It's
> unfortunate that there's so much manual fiddling to get a good scan,
> but those letters are awful tiny.

    Ethan, there is a way to easily scan these fiches if a normal scanner
with negative/transparency adapter doesn't fit the bill

    A digital camera in front of the reader, page after page, in a darkened
room would do miracles. A professional (high-quality, etc) DV camera feeding
directly a computer in front of the reader also would do miracles.

    Anyway, is a slow and troublesome way to scan them. Is there an
automatic scanner?

    Alexandre, PU1BZZ