TD Systems TDL-12 info... (QBus SCSI?)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 03:49:16 CDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 2:36 AM, Josh Dersch <derschjo at mail.msu.edu> wrote:
> Thanks anyway :).  I dumped the EPROM on the board and looking at the
> strings contained therein, it appears that this particular board is in fact
> a SCSI controller that appears to the host system as one or more RL01/02
> drives.

Nice job there.

> Interesting.  Now to figure out how to get into the configuration
> monitor of this thing...

I have a Dialog DQ614.  It presents an ST506/ST412 drive as a series
of RL02 "drives".  It does not have an onboard configurator; you have
to run an RT-11 app to set it up.  It arrived with a dead Rodime drive
and I haven't had the chance to fiddle with it, but I'm _guessing_ it
saves its config info at the front of the drive since there doesn't
appear to be anything on the board resembling NVRAM (EAROM given its
age).  There's a chance your board also requires an external config
utility.

Andromeda stuff, OTOH, has onboard config programs that you talk to
via a serial cable.  I haven't configured one of those in 20+ years,
but ISTR it was rather trivial to do.  I didn't see an obvious serial
port on your board, but if it had one, it'd likely be a 2x5 0.1" pin
header patch, potentially with one pin missing, a la DLV11J.

-ethan