Reforming caps and CRTs

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood at btconnect.com
Thu Apr 23 03:44:47 CDT 2009

I have two DEC VR201 mono monitors.
They both had the blue spot particularly at the edges.
The spotting exists within the adhesive that bonds the outer faceplate to the screen. The layer of goo is quite thick. (About 2-3 millimeters)

The result is something akin to a car shatterproof windscreen. The extra faceplate is not part of the original tube spec and would have been added by DEC later. I simply prised off the front faceplate in bits knowing it would not shatter as it was stuck to the goo. Peel off the goo on the screen, clean, adjust the cutoff pot and the result is a bright clear display. (Don't try this if you are not comfortable working with CRT's)
There is a small gap between the bezel and the tube (extra cooling?) but the rubber tube spacers mean nothing is loose.

Regards

Rod Smallwood

I collect and restore old computer equipment with this logo.
│d│i│g│i│t│a│l│