The General Approach to Computing - A Ramble

Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Thu Apr 23 17:38:52 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 16:25 -0400, Teo Zenios wrote:

> There are millions of people driving cars that have no idea how to do
> anything other then put gas in it and maybe change the oil. Why should
> computer (another tool like a car) be any different today? Both cars and
> computers are a mature product now where people and companies specialize in
> doing support so the user does not have to. Don't expect the masses to want
> to expend the time and energy into their commodity tools as you do to your
> hobby.

At the risk of getting off-topic, then at least in the UK you need to
demonstrate the very basics of car maintenance before you can pass your
driving test.  Part of the driving test includes knowing where to check
brake/clutch fluid, coolant, oil, power steering or other hydraulic
fluid and changing a wheel.  When my gf went in to do her driving test,
I was tempted to lend her my Citroën GSA (aircooled, single hydraulic
system for brakes and suspension and cable-operated clutch) - just three
things to check...

If there was something similar for the Internet, we'd be in a much
happier state.

Gordon