machine room in a trailer?

Doc doc at vaxen.net
Wed Apr 29 13:35:31 CDT 2009

Richard wrote:
> Has anyone ever setup an appropriately controlled environment for a
> machine room in a mobile home type trailer?

    I've seen tractor-trailer rigs set up for everything from seismo-test
evaluation to large-scale storage replication, but never "from the
inside", so to speak.  The US Army has at least one caravan of 8 or 10
rigs that's labeled as war-games simulators.  Who knows WTH it really
is.  ;)

    Looks to me like you'd be far better off building on a transport
frame than a mobile home frame.  A semi flatbed or van will be designed
to hold up under heavy loads and unevenly distributed weight.  Also,
it's been my observation that most "mobile" homes are designed and built
to move once or twice, and start breaking up after that.

    For power and cooling, you'll have to give some thought to the
expected target environment.  If you'll be running it in, say, municipal
auditoriums or arenas, assuming high-voltage 3-phase input might be
reasonable.  If you want to be able to fire it up just anywhere, a
light-plant trailer makes better sense.

 	Doc