machine room in a trailer?

CRC technobug at comcast.net
Wed Apr 29 18:57:17 CDT 2009

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:33:43 -0600, Richard <legalize at xmission.com>
wrote:

> Reasonable idea.  I've seen surplus environment controlled trailers
> for sale on govliquidation.

This is a great way of going if you are willing to re-rack your
equipment. The electronics trailers are specially designed to channel
cooling to the racks - some having zone controls. Generally, there is
also sufficient power distribution to handle the equipment you
described.

A number of years ago I outfitted a thirty-foot surplus equipment
trailer with a Modcomp II, data recorders, printer, and data
acquisition equipment for an atmospheric optical transfer function
experiment. The trailer I came up with had a row of racks  that
covered one side leaving the other for a console and printer and room
for everyone involved to escape the elements. We operated out of
Tucson, Arizona with sites at Cape Canaveral in the summer, Lake Tahoe
in the winter, and Bolder, Colorado in the summer. About 10,000 miles
of travel in all with no equipment failures!

There were two zones of cooling: one for the equipment in the bays and
the other for the personnel space. There was over 100 Amps available
in the racks with 3-phase 220/110V wiring.

Another avenue to investigate are surplus equipment shelters. These
shelters have environmental systems, racks, and power distribution.
You hire a crane/big fork lift and a flatbed to move the beasts and
generally will go for less than the trailers.

	CRC