very OT: it's vs. its / was Re: tube digital interest

Josh Dersch derschjo at mail.msu.edu
Mon Dec 14 14:51:19 CST 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 12:33 PM, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:

> Josh Dersch wrote:
>>>
>> There are lots of rules in English grammar/spelling that are
>> "unnecessary."  That doesn't mean I don't cringe when I get a text
>> message that reads "hey u, wat r u up 2??"  Nor does it mean I'm not
>> going to try to preserve some of these rules... Sure, I know what the
>> sender means, that doesn't mean I have to like the way it was said.
>> (Flash forward 50 years to when the English alphabet only has 12
>> letters...)
>
> Geez. I attempted to politely make one reply to an issue which someone
> else raised - which I think was reasonable as it was 'in my defense'
> and
> the issue was raised in public - flagged the issue as off-topic and
> suggested
> that further discussion should be off-list.
>
> In response we get a reply that not only fails to see or address the
> argument
> being made, but non-sensically replies to a portion of my statement
> cut out
> of it's (<-note) context.
>
> Enough.

I'll not take this ot thread any further; but your argument seemed to
be "I shouldn't have to care about the proper use of apostrophes as
context is good enough and the rules are arbitrary."  I disagree,  but
perhaps I have misunderstood your argument.  In either case I meant
you no disrespect.

Josh