720RPM 3.5" FDDs?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Feb 1 17:51:32 CST 2009

On 1 Feb 2009 at 23:50, Alexandru Lovin wrote:

> I just joined cctalk. While you're on floppy drives, I'd like to ask
> something. Wasn't the LS-120 made by Panasonic ? And didn't they make
> another version, the LS-240 ?
>
> As far as I can remember, any of them are made to work on the IDE/PATA
> interface. Now, would it be possible to adjust it hardware so that it
> can be recognized as a real floppy ? This would be the solution to
> making it work under Win XP.

The problem appears to be with XP, not with the Matsushita-made LS-
120 IDE drives.  (They also were produced for SCSI).  Mine worked
just fine in Win2K, but XP hangs (with no hardware changes) during
the boot process.  The problem appears to be related to the chipset
and drivers of the host; some have reported success in getting the
LS120 to work on XP, but by no means is this common.

And no one's going to take the time to find out what's wrong with
what's considered to be an obsolete device.

One nice aspect of the LS120 is that it would also read (but not
format) 1.23MB "DOS-V" Japanese-format floppies.  Most USB 3.5"
drives can also do this.

Cheers,
Chuck