Replacing failed powersupplies on qbus PDP-11s

Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Sun Feb 1 18:09:55 CST 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 18:13 -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> On Sunday 01 February 2009, Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ wrote:
> > Simulation == all bets are off.  It's never going to tell you
> > anything meaningful.
>
> If this was true, many people like me wouldn't have a job.
>
> There's many scientific disciplines where simulation is much more
> practical than physical experimentation, to help hypothesis.
>
> The biggest example is funded by the DOE to do nuclear detonation
> simulations.

Yes, because it's hard to test nuclear explosions on your bench - twice,
anyway.

I've lost count of the number of people I've spoken to in ##electronics
and on forums who have got hopelessly lost and confused by trying to
simulate simple electronic circuits.  Just build the damn thing and test
it, you'll learn far more! But no, they don't want to do that because
apparently "it's a waste of time and money".

Gordon