speaking of 3.5

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Feb 6 15:29:58 CST 2009

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, dwight elvey wrote:
>  On the ones I'm looking at, one could glue some equally
> and uses a sensor on the motor to create the index.
>  The Mitsumi drive I have in my hand right now has
> just such an exposed flywheel/motor.
>  I looked at the Teacs I have and don't believe one
> could do this because the motor is mounted differently.

I was thinking more in terms of the era of the Shugart SA350.
It is true that on the integrated motor/flywheel models the marks would
have to be added or painted on, rather than drilled through the flywheel.
I've never made any modifications to "modern" drives.

In making a 3.5" drive for H80 and N*, is there any compelling reason to
NOT use older drives?  (does it have to be less than 1/2" thick?)
Could a combo 3.5" and 5.25" drive be modified to do hard sector 5.25"?
(thus adding 3.5" without losing 5.25" and still fitting stock mounting
locations)