MITS 1440 Calculator

B Degnan billdeg at degnanco.com
Thu Feb 19 20:35:42 CST 2009

Does anyone have a MITS 1440 Calculator?  I am looking for someone who
either has a non-working  unit, or one that needs some sort of
attention, or someone who would be trusting  enough to loan me and a
friend their working unit to carefully swap the ROM chips and see which
one is bad.  I think the risk of damaging a good chip is low, but
paranoid attention will be made to avoid accidents.  I have been told
that the input chip is OK, and the output  chip is OK.  The control chip
seems OK.  Most likely the program ROM chip is bad, but it could
possibly  be the registers or ALU.  More likely the ALU than the
registers chip.If anyone is interested in this project, feel free to
drop me a line.  See July 1973 Radio Electronics for more info.
Bill D