8088 vs. 80c88

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Feb 22 21:46:20 CST 2009

On 22 Feb 2009 at 20:52, Ethan Dicks wrote:

> I understand wanting to minimize user frustration, but back in the day
> (1991?), I did stick a V20 in my XT clone specifically to run 22NICE
> to run the CP/M versions of the Scott Adams games (since those were
> the easiest versions to find at the time).  For what I was doing, it
> worked great.

The "disabling" was only in removing the option specification from
the GENCOM utility--the code was still in 22NICE itself.  If you used
an older version of GENCOM, or just updated the 22NICE.COM resident,
V20 emulation would work.  The change was made cica 1993.

The I/O remapping worked for some of our customers wanting to
substitute a PC in their existing equipment, particularly those
involving CNC.  I recall a Strippit sheet metal punch adapted in this
manner.

That was back when the US still manufactured things...sigh.

Cheers,
Chuck