Powering up a 20-year old MicroVAX II

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Mon Feb 23 22:55:43 CST 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009 05:24:32 am Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> Rod Smallwood wrote:
> > Hi
> >    Sounds like capacitors.
> > Alhough it's a switcher any high voltage/high value capacitors in the
> > PSU might well need reforming.
> > Quite often you will see caps with a pair if incised lines on top. This
> > makes them go pop instead of bang.
> > You would not want to see a PSU where they have gone bang.
>
> This is the only popped electrolytic I have ever seen, in damn near 30
> years of fiddling with electronic stuff:
>
> http://www.gjcp.net/~gordonjcp/blowncap.jpg
>
> Gordon

I was given a flatscreen a while back and after opening it up I saw a whole
*bunch* of them that looked like that...

I'm undecided yet whether I'm going to just change the ones that are bulging
out the top like that or swap them *all*,  which is going to end up being
rather more extensive.

I suspect that lack of a surge protector was probably a good diagnosis for
this user.  :-)

I have another one from the same source that uses an external power supply
that's dead.  A replacement is at hand,  so I'll probably "fix" that one
first.

-
M Dakin