washing floppies

Michael Lee mikelee at tdh.com
Tue Feb 24 14:12:03 CST 2009

Wow, I've never admitted this before , but I've actually "washed"
floppies in my past.  As a kid, I would carry floppies in my backpack,
to and from school, and on more than one occasion rain or exploding soda
would soak the disks.  Wanting to save the data, and the disk for that
matter, I would carefully open them up with a razor blade, wash them in
just water, dry them off, reassemble with a little tape, and they'd work
just fine.  I bet if I looked hard enough, I still have a couple taped
together disks somewhere, both 3.5" and 5.25".

So, yes, it's possible, and can work, but at the time, I didn't have any
concern for the drives as they didn't belong to me...  Yet.