washing floppies

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Tue Feb 24 16:37:52 CST 2009

David Griffith wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Paul Koning wrote:
>
> > And then there were DECtapes (the real ones, not the TU58).  Those
> > sometimes ended up in the laundry by accident and were none the worse
> > for wear.  That tape is laminated, though; the oxide is under a mylar
> > cover layer.
>
> Given that, why aren't other mylar magnetic media similarly laminated?
> Expense?

The thickness of the lamination moves the magnetic medium away from the head,
reducing signal strength or S/N and maximum possible bit density.

I don't know what the density is on DECtapes but I presume it was fairly low
and they could get away with the lamination, or they traded off bit density for robustness.