UNIX for the VAXstation or AlphaStation

John Floren slawmaster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 21:54:59 CST 2009

Hi all; I realize that this sorta overlaps with a previous thread or
two, but I thought I'd start a new one rather than practice
necromancy.

So, I've got both a VAXstation 4000-60 and an AlphaStation 250 here
and after playing with it for a bit I've decided I don't really care
for VMS so much that I want it on both of them. I'd like to find an
interesting, preferably AT&T-style UNIX to run on one of them, so I'm
hoping some of you can help me figure out my options. So far, I know I
can run:
-NetBSD
-Probably some DEC/HP UNIXes (Tru64 on the Alpha?).

I'd really appreciate perspectives on these different systems,
user/admin experience, etc. I'm not looking to accomplish anything in
particular here, I just want something to play around with on my DEC
hardware while I wait for the PDP-11 :)

Thanks

John Floren
--
"I've tried programming Ruby on Rails, following TechCrunch in my RSS
reader, and drinking absinthe. It doesn't work. I'm going back to C,