Z80 instruction fetch mechanism

Jim Battle frustum at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 2 22:09:36 CST 2009

Jules Richardson wrote:

> Someone asked this over on the Sinclair group a short while ago, but I
> suddenly thought that someone here might know...
>
> Basically they were wondering what the internals of the Z80's
> instruction fetch were, given that some instructions are multiple bytes
> in length, but there's only a single-byte instruction register.
>
> I theorised that control in the Z80 is all just a state machine, so
> multiple instruction bytes presumably advance things to a new state (and
> what's left in the IR during execution is just one byte from a
> multi-byte instruction) - but it sounds like the OP was wondering if
> anyone knew the exact mechanism (basically, has the design of the state
> machine ever been documented anywhere).
>
> (Given that I'm on a 'homebrew CPU' trip right now, I'm rather curious,
> too :-)
>
> Quite possibly this level of detail's never been made publicly
> available, but I figure someone here may have had close involvement with
> Zilog and know more. Online resources cover the overall internal
> architecture, but just 'black box' the control logic section (including
> the IR).

Rodnay Zaks had a fat Z80 book that went into quite some detail of the timing of the bus
and mentioned a hidden "W" register, but I don't recall what that was for -- holding a
byte temporarily during some do-si-do.  I have the book but it is buried in the garage.

I have no doubt prefix bytes, (CB, ED, DD, FD) just set a flop that modify the
interpretation of subsequent fetches -- that is more economical than storing the entire
byte (or two bytes in some cases).  Immediates and IX/IY offsets just go right to the
latch in front of the ALU.

I'll try and find the book.