Lifting heavy rack-mount gear (was Re: PDP-8/e rack questions)

Gordon JC Pearce MM3YEQ gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Jan 7 05:38:05 CST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 00:03 -0500, Ethan Dicks wrote:

> When I was younger (in high school), I had a couple of minor incidents
> moving big DEC equipment - nothing requiring more than first aid, but
> enough to keep me cautious.  Now that I'm substantially older, I'm
> eyeing that lift as an essential tool - most of my close calls have

When I was moving house, I went to load my PDP11/73 onto the van with
all the drives racked up.  It was a bit heavier than I expected, but it
was just a case of rolling it up to the back of the van and then lifting
it in as I tipped it backwards.  Getting it up two steps at the back
door of my new place wasn't as much fun.

Oh, and let's not forget the Fujitsu Eagle which has a sticker on it
saying "CAUTION: 70kg" - on the bottom!  A few years ago I used to carry
around 25kg bags of horse feed three at a time.  I'm so unfit these
days.  I should ditch all this computer nonsense and go back to working
on a farm...

Gordon