Lifting heavy rack-mount gear (was Re: PDP-8/e rack questions)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 7 10:34:23 CST 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 2:31 AM, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
> Nice pictures, they make me feel like a total amateur having "only"
> moved a 11/70 (two cabinets) and a Alphaserver(one cabinet). And in
> both
> cases used a truck with a lift.

   Those lifts are nice sometimes, but they are not without their
problems.  Most of them have a very steep ramp of about 3-4" at the
very edge that big racks have trouble with.  Also, they "jerk" when
motion starts...cranking down the racks' feet or strapping them down
is a must.

>> between-the-garage-doors columns on my house.  I then drove the truck
>> forward, an inch or so at a time, running back every time to check on
>> things, until the rearmost pallet was nearly off the truck.
>
> neat trick :) scary one too.

   Yes, I was worried for a while.  I laughed aloud when it was done,
though.  I must've looked like a nut...standing there in my driveway
all alone, soaked with sweat, surrounded by a few $mil worth of huge
computers, laughing..

>>   The E10K was the last to come off the truck.  It was still
>> unbelievably heavy even after the removal of all hot-swappable
>
> I was not participating myself, but heard some scary stories from when
> the computer club moved a E10K into the server room. I allways giggle
> when I see the two very visible dents in the sill from the E10K
> wheels.

   They certainly leave their mark!  :-)

           -Dave

--