Crossing compiling HP3000 MPE on a VAX was Re: got netbsd 2.0.3 to boot on 11/730 in sim

Lee Courtney charlesleecourtney at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 18:25:01 CST 2009

Hi Brad!

Topic drift, but your post reminded me of one of the most interesting uses for a VAX I know of.

Back when HP was developing PA-RISC (mid-1980's) to replace the 16-bit stack architecture 3000 we used a VAX-750 running BSD to host a PA-RISC simulator. I was working on the MPE boot-strap code at the time and used the simulator to write in PA-RISC assembler (no HLL compiler yet) and run tests. We had one 750 for the entire MPE OS Lab, although only a few of us were using it. Not surprising that the turn-around for compiles and debugging reminded me of mainframe batch turn-arounds from school, at the end of the semester of course. Barely usable.

We soon got proto-type CPUs implemented in TTL that plugged into the back-plane of a very heavily hacked Series 44 (desk form-factor 3000). That way we could have hardware'ish speed and use real peripherals. Huge improvement before we got real prototype hardware to do OS bring-up on.

Of course this was all very hush-hush at the time since HP was locked in a death struggle with DEC in the mini-computer market. Would have been bad press for it to get out that HP used DEC computers to design its new 32-bit computer architecture.

Cheers,

Lee Courtney