DEC Direct Sales Catalog

Jim Battle frustum at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 8 09:40:53 CST 2009

Dave Caroline wrote:
> there are ways without destroying to scan books the pro machines use a
> camera people should NOT cut spines off
> I see too much of this distructive behaviour on this list

You have to break an egg to make an omelet.

Up front, I apologize for being bristly.  Putting "NOT" in caps just set
me off.

Have you ever availed yourself of any of the docs on bitsavers or its
mirrors?  Guess how large that collection would be if Al had to spend
$35K for a book scanner, or had to flip pages by hand, or had to build
an army of tinker-toy book scanners (like the one you mention next) in
order to get throughput?

I have scanned only a tiny fraction of the number of pages Al has, and
it got really tiring flipping a page, orienting it on the flatbed,
waiting for the scan, doing the next.  I did well over a thousand pages
that way before getting pragmatic about things.

If the doc is spiral bound (or similar) or stapled, I'll work the
staples out or the binding, scan them, then put the staple or spiral
binding back in.  If the doc is especially valuable, then I'll manually
page flip.  But otherwise, I have only the slightest twinge liberating
the pages.  Some manuals have three hole punches despite being bound;
with an exacto knife you can cut close enough to the spine that the
loose pages fit into a three ring binder.  Otherwise I use a fat clip (I
don't know the real name) to hold them together when I'm done.

I try to scan only things which aren't available, so either the
information stays nicely bound on aging paper on my shelf where only I
can use it, or the spine gets removed and everybody can use the
information.  *Far* more information will be lost to entropy due to the
existing copies rotting in peoples closets and garages than will be
captured through semi-destructive scanning.

If you don't want me to cut spines off of manuals, then you can prevent
it -- scan it before I do.  Point me at your repository of scanned work
and I will promise to check there before I do any more scanning.  Hurry,
though, because I have four more manuals that I want to scan this weekend.

In short, most of the time, the information is much more valuable than
the physical manifestation of it in an individual book.

> here is a home brew one
> http://uk.gizmodo.com/2006/02/23/homemade_book_scanner.html

I'd like to see the quality of the output -- the book isn't pressed
flat, which in my experience leads to curved text in the center of the
book and/or shadowing.  The book in the demo shots is also midway
through the book and lays relatively flat, unlike many manuals and books
I have.  I'd like to see the scanner scan the first few or last few
pages of the book.

I also wonder what is the mean number of pages between failures.  Just
tighten up the legos a bit; just add or maybe remove a little more
counterweight and see if it works better.  Bah.

In the tiny wmv movie, I would guess it is at least 60 seconds per page.
  For a decent scanner with ADF, 30 ppm is nothing special.

No, this isn't practical other than as a rickety hack.

Did you watch the video of his camera-based version?  It uses the same
paper turning technology as the scanner one, but the video quality
showing its operation is much clearer.  Watch it and you'll get a sense
of how practical this thing is:

	http://www.geocities.jp/takascience/lego/pic/abs2.wmv

If you find a book scanner that is under $1000 and works reliably, has
decent quality, and doesn't require me to build it myself, let me know.