Dr. Dobbs to cease?

Dan Gahlinger dgahling at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:50:37 CST 2009

It's a fascinating discussion, especially with "everything" going this way.
Just exactly how well will the age-old advertising methods work online,
especially with everyone and their brother using things like ad-block?

I'm not sure where it will end up, I suspect it's an indication of a deeper issue.

Off-topic but perhaps related is TV, look at what's happening with that, the traditional TV is almost dead.
I'm not sure, but my feeling is that the new US plans to kill analog TV may completely kill TV.

Why have TV when you can stream anything you want any time you want from the internet?
Where is the place for it, and advertising when you can download shows for free (or "free") or close to it?

Microsoft (and others) plans of a TV set-top box for internet access continually fail, and yet, in some ways,
that's exactly where we're going, the computer becomes the entertainment center.

a friend of mine has dumped TV (sat/cable, etc), they setup a NAS device and stream everything from online to their systems,
and their TV's have rca/coax/digital connectors. with 2 1TB drives of media, and various systems with NFS mounts for other media.

There's no advertising in there at all, no revenue stream, and no on-going cost for him to operate (except electricity).
surprisingly perhaps, the reduction in electricity usage is exactly why he did it, he turned off 3 systems in place of the one NAS, which uses 1/3rd
power of any of those systems alone.

Someone once predicted the death of "tv" in the early 21st century, it feels like we're on the cusp at least.

however, my question is, isn't TV a major source of advertising income, sales, and revenues?
if everything goes this way, what happens to the market then?

As i said, there's a deeper issue lurking below the surface.