what harddisk is this?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 14:26:32 CST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Pontus <pontus at update.uu.se> wrote:
> Dave McGuire wrote:

>>> I'm no DEChead but it is a Digital RA92
>>   It's just the HDA, not the whole drive.
>
> yupp, we have a bunch of those at the club. You need the controller
> board (?), housing, power and fan to get it going.
>
> But they are quite cool. We removed a magnet from one of them and placed
> it on the I-beam in the ceiling. To say the least, it was hard to remove :)

I never fiddled much with stuff that new.  When I was using SDI drives
every day, it was in the RA81 era.  I have a couple of RA70s I want to
fit into a BA213, but except for staring at a wall of them and not
having to do much, I didn't interact with the RA92s at the one place
where we had them.  My memory is that they were pretty sturdy, but all
rotating media fails eventually.

Since I have more than a couple UDA50s and KDA50s and even a KDB50
(for my 8200), I'm kinda tied to SDI disks one way or another.  I can
find alternatives for Unibus and Qbus, but I don't know that I'd ever
find an alternative for the VAXBI bus (there _were_ SCSI controllers
for VAXBI, but they were $10K once upon a time, and I can't imagine
they ever made a lot of them).

-ethan