Wall warts; was: hams on classiccmp

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 11:17:15 CST 2009

Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2009 at 21:22, Tony Duell wrote:
>
>> A lot of wall-warts over here are held together with screws, often with
>> 'security' heads (why???). At least they can be opened and repaired,
>> although whether it's worth doing is debatable.
>
> Screws, wow.  I remember seeing the transition between wart-with-6-
> foot-ine-cord-and-screws to screwless-no-cord in Racal-Vadic modems
> during the 70's.

It's always surprised me that stuff like that's legal in the US, given the
nature of the power outlets; it doesn't need a lot of weight for the device
plugged into the wall to tilt slightly and risk the exposure of live metal
contacts (heck, normal power cords and pets are a bad enough combination :-)