SC/MP 8073 addressing query

Doug Jackson doug at stillhq.com
Tue Jan 20 16:26:13 CST 2009

Hi list,

I have an interesting question regarding the INS8073 (National
Semiconductor SC/MP 3 with BASIC in ROM).

Finally, somebody gave me a round tuit, and I have started work on a
simple 8073 system.

Eventually, it will have 8K of ROM, 8K of RAM, an 8255, and a switch /
LED interface. Currently on the board, I have the 6264 RAM tied to the
8073, with no address decoding (ie the CS* on the RAM is tied to A15 on
the CPU).  Sadly, as a simple test, this does not operate as I would
expect.  I would have expected that the RAM would have been selected
anywhere in the lower 32K or the memory map, and I would have a simple
system that would spit out a console prompt.  But no luck.

Now the question....  The internal ROM is located in the lowest 4K or
the memory map.  When the CPU is fetching data from the lower 4K, does
it assert the NRDS line, and sample the external bus?  My belief is that
it does not, as the trivial application note that I have seen simply
ties a couple of 2114 to the processor, and uses A10 as the chip select.

Any ideas?

Doug

--
Doug Jackson, I-RAP, MAIPM, MIEEE

Principal Information Security Consultant
EWA-AUSTRALIA
PO Box 6308 O'Connor ACT 2602
Level 1, 214 Northbourne Ave, Braddon ACT 2612

Tel: +61 (0)2 6230 6833
Fax: +61 (0)2 6230 5833
Mob: +61 (0)414 986 878

http://www.ewa-australia.com

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of Electronic Warfare
Associates - Australia. If you have received this email in error,
you are requested to contact doug.jackson at ewa-australia.com or Ph
+61 2 62306833 and delete the email. This message is not to be
copied or distributed to other parties without the express permission
of the author. Any personal information in this email must be handled
in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).