VT-100 BNC jacks

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at wmata.com
Tue Jan 20 18:20:30 CST 2009

Gordon writes:
> On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 18:06 -0500, Francesca C. Smith wrote:
>> On Tuesday 20 January 2009 17:25:42 cctalk-request at classiccmp.org wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Good Eye,
>>
>> I had to look inside but I found a sticker for a Ball Brothers Model TV-50 :-)
>>
>> The main logic card is in fact a generic Digital VT-100 logic board. Although
>> I would guess the proms are different.
>>
>> Unfortunately the CRT neck is broke :-(
>>
>> Was not packed very well at all by the shipper
>>
>> I guess I can search around for a CRT somewheres unless anyone has a idea. ??

>Every so often this crops up...  Is it a black-and-white CRT?  Do you
>know roughly what the scan rate is?

>Perhaps you could use a tube from a scrapped TV.  They can't be *that*
>different.

A regular VT-100 puts out composite/RS-170 video on a BNC jack on the back. (Classic
problem from a few decades ago: people plugging the school's thinnet ethernet
onto the VT-100 video out connector!)

I don't see any BNC's on the back of Francesca's Franken-VT-100. But
I'd be pretty sure the Ball Brothers unit just takes the composite video in.

Didn't some early regular VT-100's use Ball Brothers screens and flybacks too? I
remember a couple variations of the CRT/flyback boards some more reliable
than the others. Somewhere I've got pictures of my garage completely
filled with VT-100's!

Tim.